By Denise Gredler, President, BestCompaniesAZ
Having a clearly defined corporate culture is a trait that successful Arizona companies share. Those companies work closely with their management team and employees to establish a set of corporate values and a shared vision. By doing so, they create a positive corporate culture that drives the company’s direction.
“At the Scottsdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, we have a list of core values that all of our employees have agreed to uphold,” says Rachel Sacco, president and CEO of the Scottsdale, Ariz. Bureau. “These values not only give us a standard by which to measure employee performance, they’ve also fostered a feeling of ownership among our staff and created a supportive, nurturing environment in which to accomplish our shared goals.”
Action steps to take toward enhancing your corporate culture:
- Work closely with your management team to establish a set of core values
- Share these values and your desired culture with all employees
- Include your core values in your employee handbook, discuss them with your new hires, post them visibly throughout the company and revisit them regularly
- Link your company’s core values to your hiring, training, performance management and compensation programs
- Structure key interview questions around your core values to help determine if a potential employee is a good fit with your culture
- Ensure that all employees understand how the core values will be integrated into the performance appraisal process
Having a good understanding of your corporate culture and communicating that to your employees can have a positive impact on the company’s bottom line. The impact of culture on the bottom line is substantial and companies can no longer treat this as a soft cost.