Most Admired Companies FAQ
To identify and promote Arizona’s Most Admired Companies based on leadership contribution and employee, customer and community opinions. This is the most comprehensive and most prestigious award program in Arizona, for it recognizes the contributions and impact these “Most Admired” companies bring to the state.
Employers are asked to complete a nomination form that requires company demographic information and five open-ended questions related to:
- Leadership Excellence. This includes all aspects of leadership (trust-building, visionary, strategic, tactical, ethical, mentoring/developing, emotional intelligence, flexibility) Include senior leaders as well as other leaders in the organization. Include information on the credibility and impact of leadership in the community as well as within the organization. (2500 characters or less)
- Workplace Culture. Describe what is unique about your HR/Culture programs – don’t list just standard policy. What makes your programs stand out from all others in the areas of diversity, career development, employer branding, veteran initiatives, female programs, health and wellness, perks, etc? Weight will be given to applications that can support the effectiveness of their programs through credible employee surveys or other systems designed to assess workplace culture and engagement. (2500 characters or less.)
- Corporate & Social Responsibility. How are you bettering our community in terms of corporate giving, volunteerism, donations of time and money, serving on boards and environmental efforts? How do you align your company goals with nonprofit groups and employees interests and passions? What are you doing that is unique and different from other companies in your industry? Include information on both formal and informal programs you have in place. (2500 characters or less.)
- Customer Opinion. Applications should include both quantitative and qualitative data on customer experience. Weight will be given to applications that include credible customer survey data and/or third-party service awards. (2500 characters or less.)
- Innovation. In this section, we are looking for fresh new ideas (something new, original or improved) that create value for your company. Specifically, what innovative idea(s), or new program, product, process, service, policy, perquisite, etc. makes your company unique. If innovation examples are noted above in any of the category sections, please reference the innovation in this section. (2500 characters or less.)
- Benefits for the state: This project will contribute to the continued growth and economic prosperity of the state by positively impacting the image of Arizona, thereby allowing the state to attract and retain more businesses and jobs.
- Benefits for program partners: This state program has been designed to increase awareness of all of the state’s member based organizations (city, state and national chapters), with the goal of increasing membership and participation in award programs.
- Benefits for participating companies: All participants will receive many benefits from participating in the process such as best practice ideas and benchmark data. Honorees will receive increased market and brand awareness on a state and national level. The list provides positive public recognition for winning companies increasing their visibility, public profile and financial performance. Quality candidates, both active and passive, search out winning companies, and employee retention rates are improved.
- All Arizona companies are eligible to submit an application. This includes employers in all cities including metro Phoenix, metro Tucson, northern Arizona, southern Arizona and western Arizona cities.
- These companies can be for-profit, non-profit, private, public, subsidiaries or business units, government or state agencies, or charitable organizations.
- All companies should have full-time or part-time employees working in Arizona, not including seasonal, temporary, or contract staff.
- Company should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Has received a state and/or national workplace award within the past 12-24 months, including a survey validating favorable employee opinion
- Has conducted an internal survey within the past 12-24 months, with favorable employee opinion scores
- Has programs in place that solicit employee feedback on a regular basis through employee focus groups or other mechanism validating a favorable workplace.
Additional information may be requested for committee discussion and validation purposes.
How Will Winners Be Listed? Will They Be Ranked?
Companies will be listed in alphabetical order by size (micro, small, medium, and large) so all will receive equal exposure as one of Arizona’s Most Admired Companies. Spotlight awards will also be announced at the event based on the five categories: Leadership Excellence, Workplace Culture, Social Responsibility, Customer Excellence and Innovation.
Complete the nomination form. Note: Nominations for 2018 are now open.
- Access the nomination form on AZ Big Media’s website: 2018 Most Admired Companies nomination form.
- This form requires essays responding to six open-ended questions and demographic information. All sections of the form must be completed for an organization to be considered by the selection committee.
- Submit your completed nomination form by June 29, 2018.
- Provide five company photos that show company culture and leadership. Provide high resolution company logo.
Important Information for Filling Out the Nomination Form
- Click here to view a sample nomination form. We strongly recommend that you answer all of the “open ended” questions in a Word document and then cut and paste into the online form.
- IMPORTANT: You will be able to save and continue but you must first complete the top portion of page 1. At the bottom of the page you will then see a “save and continue later” feature that will ask you for your email address. PLEASE save this link so you can return from where you left off.
- Please provide complete responses to each of the open-ended questions: Leadership Excellence, Workplace Culture, Corporate and Social Responsibility, Customer Opinion and Innovation. Specific examples are always helpful.
- By completing and submitting this form, you authorize BestCompaniesAZ and AZ BIG Media to publish your nomination (or excerpts of the nomination) in various media outlets if you are selected as one of Arizona’s Most Admired Companies. Do not provide confidential or proprietary information.
- Please submit five company photos and your company logo. Choose photos that capture the essence of your culture, leadership team, customer experience, and community outreach. If you are having trouble uploading large files, please contact us at email@example.com.
- The selection committee may contact you if they need additional information.
The deadline for submission is June 29, 2018.
Should I Include Copies of Our Surveys With Our Nomination?
You should provide specific examples and statistics to demonstrate employee, customer, and community opinion. Survey results or other supporting documentation are not required with the nomination; however, once the committee begins to review the applications, additional information may be requested.
Is There a Cost to Participate?
The nomination process is free.
How Are Companies Evaluated and Selected?
All nominations will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of industry leaders and subject experts in the five categories, the Arizona Business Magazine editorial team and Arizona’s Most Admired Companies Presenting Sponsors or Partners that are not participating in the competition. The selection committee determines all honorees of the Most Admired Companies program.
NOTE: BestCompaniesAZ will facilitate the evaluation process but will NOT participate in the selection of final list winners due to the nature of its role in providing consulting services to the community.
When Will the Winners Be Announced?
Honorees will be notified approximately 30-45 days prior to the awards program and announced to the public at the awards reception held in September. Arizona Business Magazine will publish a special feature highlighting all of the winners, plus the full list will be featured on BestCompaniesAZ.com.
What if I do Not Make the List? Is the Application Process Confidential?
Companies that participate but do not make the list will not be disclosed. We do not reveal whether or not a company submitted a nomination. Feedback on your nomination compared to list winners is available upon request.
If you are interested in sponsoring the Most Admired Companies program this year and taking advantage of all the exposure from April through event date, please contact Gloria Del Grosso at 602.424.8856. If you are interested in sponsoring and/or hosting one of the Arizona’s Most Admired Companies informational meetings, contact Denise Gredler at 480-545-5151.
What if I Still Have Questions?
Subscribe to our newsletter and company blog we will keep you informed of all upcoming events and provide nominating tips. If you have further questions, contact a member of the BestCompaniesAZ team at 480-545-5151 or email Mac@bestcompaniesaz.com .
If you are located outside of the Metro Phoenix or Tucson areas and would like to schedule a workshop in your city, please contact Denise@AZMostAdmired.com or by calling 480-545-5151.
Thank you for your interest in Arizona’s Most Admired Companies Program.
Founder and CEO
AZ Big Media and AZ Business Magazine
Gloria Del Grosso
AZ Big Media and AZ Business Magazine