Updated June 2019
This is the second in a series of four articles on how to create great workplace awards nomination essays.
Leadership Excellence is one of the four elements assessed in Arizona’s Most Admired. There are many elements of good leadership. This post will focus on a well-rounded approach to your leadership story. Of the four application areas, leadership excellence carries the most weight.
Here’s what you’ll see on the form:
Please tell us about the leadership of your organization. This includes all aspects of leadership; trust-building, visionary, strategic, tactical, ethical, mentoring, developing, emotional intelligence, and flexibility. Include senior leaders as well as other leaders in the organization. Include information on the credibility and impact of leadership in the community as well as within the organization.
That’s a lot to put into the 500 words the form will hold! But keep in mind you can attach additional info in a Word document.
While creating your submission, consider the leaders as individuals. Additionally, the company’s overall efforts to develop and sustain good leadership. Furthermore, the more stories you can tell with specific examples, the stronger your nomination will be. Make your stories distinctive and compelling in order to stand out.
Here are some questions to guide you as you decide what to include:
- How have your CEO and senior leadership team created and communicated a strong, compelling vision? What specifically have they done?
- How has your leadership team demonstrated strategic excellence?
- How have senior leaders modeled and advocated for ethical practices?
- What programs have you designed to develop leadership?
- How has leadership at all levels built trust with employees in your company?
- What stories can you tell about how leaders in your company are approachable?
- How have your company’s leaders been actively involved in the community?
- Is there something especially distinctive about your CEO’s philosophy and approach?