azcentral.com Top Companies FAQ’s
Overview of Program
Welcome to azcentral.com Top Companies to Work For in Arizona.
azcentral.com, The Arizona Republic, and BestCompaniesAZ are pleased to announce a new statewide workplace awards program, azcentral.com’s Top Companies to Work For in Arizona.
azcentral.com Top Companies to Work For in Arizona is recognizing organizations that are creating quality jobs and work environments, making Arizona a better place for our workforce. The business environment today is characterized not just by global competition and ever-increasing technologies, but also by a heightened appreciation for the quality of the workplace. In a world of continuously shrinking margins, an intentional and progressive human resources strategy is critical to creating and sustaining competitive advantage. One measure of such strategies is the quality of the workplace experience.
We invite all employers with 25 or more employees in Arizona to get involved in the new state program and help take your company to the next level.
Registration for the 2018 program is now closed. Winners will be announced June 2018.
Program Information and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Program goal
- Program objectives
- Who is responsible?
- Eligibility requirements
- Benefits of being recognized as a Top Company
- Why should your company participate?
- Registration process
- Sample workplace assessment tools used
- Is there a fee to participate?
- How are companies evaluated and selected?
- How will winners be listed? Will they be ranked?
- The 2017 Timeline
- What if we do not make the list?
- I don’t know if we have the resources
- How do we go about incorporating this program into our 2017 budget and strategic planning process?
- My company is not quite ready” – we still have a lot of work to do.
- My company has competed in local “best company lists” in the past and won, but now we want to advance to the next level. What can we do?
- Sponsorship opportunities
Thank you for your interest in this year’s statewide azcentral.com Top Companies to Work For in Arizona program.
To identify the best places of employment in Arizona for the benefit of the local economy, businesses and workforce, and promote Arizona as a best place to work and live.
- To create and publish a highly credible list of the top employers in Arizona valued by employees and management.
- To foster a healthy competitive spirit among valley businesses for improving workplaces in Arizona.
- To create a new benchmark for Arizona that will help to raise workplace standards throughout Arizona.
- To help Arizona attract and retain a talented workforce.
- To promote Arizona’s best employment opportunities to attract new workers.
- To provide a learning environment for all Arizona employers to learn from the best.
Who is responsible?
- The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com – Publisher
- BestCompaniesAZ * – Consulting and education partner, an Arizona based consulting firm that specializes in identifying, developing and promoting best companies. Click here to view our services.
- BestCompanies Group* – Research and survey partner, Best Companies Group is a national research firm that specializes in identifying great places to work. Using state-of-the art surveys and technology, BCG conducts programs on national, statewide, regional, and industry stages.
* NOTE: BestCompaniesAZ (BCAZ) is an Arizona consulting firm not affiliated with Best Companies Group (BCG). BCAZ’s role in the Arizona program is to provide consultation and educational support to azcentral.com and all Arizona participants to ensure Arizona achieves the maximum benefits from this program. To maximize the credibility and confidentiality of the survey process, BCAZ has selected BCG as the survey and research provider to manage the survey and benchmarking assessment process and to select the final Arizona list winners. BCAZ in no way is involved with the assessment and selection of list winners due to the nature of its role in providing consulting and education assistance to participating companies. BCAZ will have access to all the employee and employer data collected once the list is released by BCG for the purposes of assisting the participants with analyzing their results and action planning.
Arizona companies that employ at least 25 workers, full-time or part-time are eligible. These companies can be for-profit, non-profit, private, public, subsidiaries or business units, government or state agencies, or charitable organizations. Headcount should NOT include seasonal, temporary or contract workers.
Benefits of Being Recognized as a Best Company
95% of businesses that gain workplace recognition see measurable benefits.
The following benefits are why many organizations will participate every year.
- Heightened organizational pride. Employee morale receives a boost and employee retention is increased.
- Public relations, marketing & recruiting advantage. Organizations will use the distinction to enhance their employee recruiting efforts, increase the effectiveness of the organization’s general marketing and to improve their reputation in the state.
- Attract and retain top talent. Top workplaces are in demand among top talent – and award-winning companies have 50% less turnover.
- Enhanced reputation. Customers, prospective employees, and the community hold top workplaces in high esteem.
- Positive media exposure. Recognition in The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com and BestCompaniesAZ.com will keep your award alive all year long reaching over 82% of Arizona.
- Increased financial performance. Public companies recognized as best workplaces in Arizona have performed 2-3 times better than the market. Smaller companies perform better too; 80% of small award-winning workplaces grew in revenue share, and 88% added headcount during the recession of 2008-09.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction. Numerous studies demonstrate that companies who can make the cut can also measure stronger than average customer satisfaction.
Why should your company participate?
- Raise the bar in 2018 by launching a “best company” campaign using a new survey tool to benchmark your employee survey results against top workplaces.
- Replace your in-house survey with an affordable survey tool that can bring you greater benefits.
- Maximize the value of your HR practices by benchmarking your current HR practices, benefits and perquisites against other top companies.
- Survey may be customized and/or expanded to business locations outside Arizona, and may be advanced for national industry list recognition.
- The brief employee survey only takes 10-15 minutes and is a random sample of employees.
- Develop a stronger focus on leadership, culture and engagement throughout your organization.
- Analysis of survey data, action planning and detailed reports are available to help advance your company to next level.
- Free pre-workshops that will provide coaching tips to on how to launch an effective program for your company.
- Attend group training sessions and educational forums and panels hosted by BestCompaniesAZ and national award winning companies.
Registration with Best Companies Group (survey and research partner)
Registration is simple, however we encourage you to read the Assessment Process information carefully before submitting your registration form.
To participate in the survey, all companies begin by filling out and submitting a registration form online.
Once the registration information is received by Best Companies Group (BCG), companies will receive a confirmation email from BCG which will include additional instructions. Participation is free unless you need us to administer the survey via traditional paper surveys (fees are for printing, shipping and processing of the surveys) or if you are interested in purchasing your results.
NOTE: We suggest you have your IT department “white-list” email addresses with a URL from BestCompaniesAZ and Best Companies Group so you can continue to receive notifications of the survey process, upcoming workshops, informational meetings and deadlines.
Sample Workplace Assessment Tools
The “Top Companies to work For in Arizona” process will include a two-part process designed to gather detailed data about your company. This information is gathered by Best Companies Group (BCG). For complete survey details and survey FAQ’s, click here to the visit Best Companies Group website FAQ’s.
Part I – BCG Employer Questionnaire (EQ)
The employer (main company contact) will complete the employer survey, detailing company policies, practices, benefits and demographics. The employer will be asked to complete the user-friendly survey online. We suggest that you print out a copy of the sample questionnaire and begin gathering the data early. You will have a 2 week window in January to submit the information online.
Part II – BCG Employee Engagement & Satisfaction Survey (EESS)
The Employee Engagement & Satisfaction Survey is an in-depth set of 76 statements that employees will be asked to respond to on a 1-5 Likert scale of “Disagree Strongly” to “Agree Strongly”. The survey will also include two (2) open-ended questions, and seven (7) demographic questions. If e-mail and internet technology is not available for use by company employees, BCG also has a paper survey option available at a small charge. See fees below. (Click here for sample)
The Employee Engagement & Satisfaction Survey is broken down into 8 Core Focus Areas:
- Leadership and Planning
- Culture and Communications
- Role Satisfaction
- Work Environment
- Relationship with Supervisor
- Training & Development
- Pay and Benefits
- Overall Engagement
Is there a fee to participate?
Companies will not be required to pay a participation fee to go through the assessment process unless they need to use paper surveys (instead of online) or require additional languages and customization. Click here for more details.
How will winners be listed? Will they be ranked?
The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com will produce a special supplement at the end of June 2017 in the Sunday paper which will feature the “Top Companies to Work For in Arizona” in several different categories. Our goal is to showcase companies by a variety of categories versus a numerical ranking. We will also select one company per category to receive a spotlight award and additional recognition.
Top Companies By Employee Size
- Small (25-99)
- Medium (100-999)
- Large (1000+)
Top Companies for Women
Top Companies for Diversity
The 2018 Timeline
- Registration Period Opens: July 2017 – January 2018
- Registration Deadline: January 12th, 2018
- Employer Questionnaire: Due February 2, 2018
- Employee Survey sent (Paper): January 26, 2018
- Employee Survey sent (Online): February 9, 2018
- Deadline for Paper Surveys: February 16, 2018
- Deadline for Online Surveys: February 23, 2018
What if we do not make the list?
If your company does not appear on the list, you will still experience advantages from participating. Your company may purchase employee survey feedback reports, and since the reports will help you gauge your strengths and weaknesses, you’ll gain a better understanding of how to create a strategy to improve your company’s practices and culture. By participating, you will also gain access to training, consultation, workshops, and other resources created by BestCompaniesAZ to assist organizations improve their workplace cultures.
Companies that participate but do not make the list will not be disclosed. We do not reveal whether or not a company has participated for selection on the list.
I’m not sure if we have the resources internally to manage this process.
We can help. As Arizona’s experts in building award-winning workplaces, BestCompaniesAZ can provide individualized services to help you at every step of the process, including;
- Preparing for the survey
- Completing the employer questionnaire
- Detailed analysis of the survey findings
- Recommendations to build on your strengths and address areas to develop
- Building action plans and communication strategies
How do we go about incorporating this program into our 2017 budget and strategic planning process?
If you need help developing an HR and PR strategic plan for 2017 that includes gaining recognition as a top company, attend one of the workshops. We will provide tips and ROI measures to help sell the value of this program to your leadership team.
My company is not quite ready – we still have a lot of work to do.
Participating in a new state-wide survey is the first step. As long as you have CEO buy-in, we can walk you through the process to deploy the survey with the goal of improving your company culture – not so much focused on the win. If you need help getting CEO and leadership buy-in, attend a workshop and we will coach you through that process. Award-winning companies have to start someplace, and many of them submit multiple nominations before being chosen.
My company has competed in local workplace awards competitions in the past and won, but now we want to advance to the next level. What can we do?
BestCompaniesAZ specializes in helping companies build a “great place to work” culture at both local and national levels. As seasoned HR Consultants and corporate culture experts, we can help your company with the following:
- Analyze your survey results and provide an objective third-party summary of the findings as compared with national award-winning organizations. Our expert consultants can assist you in developing action plans to build on your strengths and address your areas to develop.
- Benchmark your company’s programs and benefits against local and national “best companies” benchmark data.
- Conduct an audit of your HR programs, policies, procedures and perks and provide expertise in best practices to improve these areas.
- Present to CEO and senior leadership an HR strategy and action plan for improvement.
- Facilitate focus groups with employees to gather more in-depth information on areas that need
- Re-survey your employees each year with our BCAZ Plus Delta Survey to get a pulse check and measure your progress or decline in specific areas.
If you are interested in sponsoring or getting involved with the azcentral.com Top Companies to Work For in Arizona program contact Denise Gredler at 480-545-5151 or attend one of our informational meetings.