Losing your job can no doubt be a stressful experience. Not only does it mean a loss of income, but it can also be a blow to your self-esteem and sense of identity. If you’ve recently been laid off from work, you may be feeling lost and uncertain about what to do next. The good news is that there are some steps you can take to get back on your feet and start your job search on the right foot.
This guide will walk you through the steps you need to take to get your job search off the ground. We’ll cover everything from updating your resume to networking with professionals in your field. So whether you’re starting your job search from scratch or just looking for some pointers, this guide will give you the tools you need to move forward.
Laid Off From Work? Take a Breath, Then Follow These Steps
Being laid off can be confusing and stressful. You may feel like you’ve done something wrong, or that you’re not good enough. It’s important to remember that being laid off is not a reflection of your worth as a person or an employee. Many factors, such as budget cuts or changes in company direction, can lead to layoffs, and it’s often nothing personal.
Once you’ve taken some time to process the news, it’s time to start thinking about your next steps. Below is a list of things you must do after you’ve been laid off. This is not an exhaustive list, but it should give you a good starting point. Immediately after being laid off, you must:
- Request a copy of your personnel file from your HR department. This will give you a record of your past performance and may come in handy if you need to reference it during your job search.
- Update your resume and cover letter to reflect your current situation. Make sure to list any relevant skills or experience you have that could help you land a new job.
- Start networking with professionals in your field. Attend industry events, join professional organizations, or reach out to contacts you know in the business world.
How To Start a Job Search
Wondering how to start a job search after being laid off from work? These tips can help make the process easier.
- Revise your resume. When updating your resume, be sure to focus on your accomplishments rather than simply listing your job duties. Employers want to see what you’ve accomplished in the past, so make sure to highlight your successes.
- Get out of your comfort zone. When networking, don’t be afraid to reach out to people you don’t know. You never know who might be able to help you find a new job.
- Use social media to your advantage. LinkedIn is a great resource for networking and connecting with potential employers.
- Attend job fairs and industry events. This is a great way to meet potential employers and learn about new job openings.
- Get help from a professional. Consider working with a recruiter or career coach to help you find a new job.
- Get involved in your community. Volunteering is a great way to give back, and it can also help you make connections with people who might be able to help you find a job.
- Be patient. Job searching can be a long and difficult process, but it’s important to stay positive and keep moving forward.
Quick Resume Best Practices
You might have been at your previous job for a long time so updating your resume might seem like a big task. Here are five quick resume best practices that you should keep in mind:
- Use reverse chronological order when listing your work experience. This will ensure that your most recent experience is listed first.
- Use action verbs to describe your accomplishments. For example, “managed,” “created,” or “led.”
- Be specific about your accomplishments. Instead of saying “ improved sales,” say “increased sales by 10%.”
- Use numbers and data to back up your claims. For example, “managed a team of 20 employees.”
- Keep your resume to one or two pages. This will ensure that your resume is easy to read and digest.
Where To Look for Your Next Job
Now that you’ve updated your resume and started networking, it’s time to start looking for job openings. The best place to start is with companies you’re interested in working for. You can use job search engines like Indeed or Monster to find open positions, or you can check out the websites of companies you’re interested in.
BestCompaniesAZ is a great resource for finding job openings at top companies in Arizona. We list the latest job openings, as well as company awards and benefits. We also offer resources to help you prepare for your job search, such as tips on networking and interviewing.