SAN FRANCISCO —November is Military Veterans’ Month at Schwab, a time for the company to celebrate its existing network of military veterans and their families, and to further raise awareness of the value of hiring and supporting veterans. Schwab remains committed not only to recruiting veterans, but also earning their loyalty by creating a workplace that leverages their unique skills and supports their career growth. Through the grassroots efforts of the company’s employee resource group, Military Veterans Network, Schwab additionally focuses on community service as well as financial education designed to help transitioning military vets with support on budgeting, saving, investing and managing debt.
As part of its celebration this year, the company is proud to announce that it has again been named to the list of top “Military Friendly® Employers” and top Military Spouse Friendly Employers (2016) for the fourth consecutive year. The recognition is awarded by Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse Magazine and reflects the emphasis Schwab places on recruiting and training military veterans who are joining or rejoining the workforce. Schwab will be showcased along with other 2016 Military Friendly Employers in the December 2015 issue of G.I. Jobs® magazine and the January 2016 issue of Military Spouse Magazine, as well as on MilitaryFriendly.com.
Now in its 13th year, Military Friendly® Employers is the premier resource for transitioning service members and spouses seeking civilian employment. Each year, companies taking the survey are held to a higher standard than the previous year via improved methodology, criteria and weightings developed with the assistance of an advisory board consisting of leaders in the higher education and military recruitment community.
“To deliver on our strategy of seeing through clients’ eyes, we have always welcomed talented people with varied backgrounds who share our belief in the honor of service,” said Walt Bettinger, president and CEO of The Charles Schwab Corporation. “Many veterans won’t have the same background as a typical industry candidate, but they will have the leadership skills, drive, spirit of teamwork and ability to learn the job quickly that make them a perfect fit for Schwab. The 600-plus military veterans who currently perform a wide range of roles across our organization bring a foundation of character and experience that any business would be fortunate to build on, and working side-by-side with people who have served our country further enriches the culture of service that is so important to our success.”
Schwab continues to be recognized for providing a work environment, policies and programs that foster meaningful career opportunities for veterans. In 2015 the company was honored with the following additional awards:
- Military Times Edge “Best for Vets Employer 2015” for the sixth consecutive year
- U.S. Veteran Magazine “Best of the Best” employers for the fourth consecutive year
- Civilianjobs.com’s “Most Valuable Employers” (MVE) for Military for the second consecutive year
- Schwab’s Forward March initiative was awarded the DirectEmployers Association’s Runner-Up
VEVRAA and Section 503 Compliance Initiatives Award
- Multiple awards from the ESGR (Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve), including a second Seven Seals Award.
Schwab is also a member of the Veteran Jobs Mission (formerly called the 100,000 Jobs Mission), which is a coalition of 200 companies that represent almost every industry in the American economy. Launched in 2011, the coalition has since hired approximately 293,000 military veterans as of September 30, 2015. For more information, visit JobsMission.com.
Including the Veteran Jobs Mission, Schwab has alliances with over a dozen organizations dedicated to supporting U.S. servicemen and women. These include Joining Forces, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, Veterans on Wall Street, Hiring Our Heroes, Hero 2 Hired, the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and Veterans Business Network.
For more than four decades, Schwab’s commitment to help Americans rethink investing has challenged the status quo and offered an alternative to traditional Wall Street investing. To support this, the company seeks forward-thinking, optimistic and driven individuals who are passionate about championing clients’ goals and who want to work in an inclusive and highly collaborative work environment.
Schwab’s benefits are designed to help employees stay healthy, save for long-term financial goals and balance the demands of work and their personal lives. Financial benefits include automatic enrollment in the company’s 401(k) plan including company matching and profit-sharing contributions, an employee stock purchase plan, a matching gifts program for charitable contributions, and discounts on some products. Health & wellness benefits include medical, dental and vision plans; life insurance and disability income protection, as well as a health savings account. Work/life programs include paid vacation, holidays and a sabbatical program for eligible employees after five years of service.
Other workplace recognition received by Schwab includes:
- The Gallup Great Workplace award (2015) for the fourth consecutive year.
- Best Place to Work for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Equality (since 2004), based on a 100 percent rating from the Human Rights Campaign on its annual Corporate Equality Index
- The Austin American-Statesman Top Workplaces (2013, 2014)
- Arizona Business Magazine’s Most Admired Companies (2015) for the third consecutive year
- The Chicago Tribune Top Workplaces (2013, 2014)
- The Denver Post Top Workplaces (2015) for the third consecutive year
- The Indianapolis Star Top Workplaces (2015) for the third consecutive year
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplaces (2015) for the third consecutive year
- The Bay Area News Group (SF) Top Workplaces (2015) for the third consecutive year
- CareerBuilder Top Companies to Work for in Arizona (2015) for the third consecutive year
- Florida Trend magazine’s Best Companies to Work for in the State of Florida (2013)
Additional information about Schwab’s workplace, including career opportunities, is available at aboutschwab.com/work-at-schwab.