While Banner’s Diversity and Inclusion Council was established in 2015, our quest toward inclusivity and a culturally rich workplace began long before. At its core, diversity and inclusion is more than just an organizational strategy, it is woven into the fabric of all we do.
From celebrating our team members to serving our communities, our focus in cultivating a culture of acceptance and compassion that drives meaningful change and creates an environment where team members, patients, and communities can heal and thrive together.
Banner team members are great in number and unified in caring for our communities. We believe that when we leverage the amazing and unique talents of all our workforce, it benefits not only our communities but also our Banner family.
What’s in it for me?
As an organization, Banner Health recognizes the value and impact of providing a forum where team members can share their backgrounds, perspectives, thoughts, and experiences. Team Member Resource Groups (“TMRGs”) are voluntary groups of internal Banner members with shared interests, characteristics, or life experiences. They focus around a well-blended strategy of ME, YOU, US where there is a focus on the personal career growth of the individual, a foundation to make a positive change within the organization, and a support system for team members to give back to the communities that we serve.
ME | INDIVIDUAL
Brown Bag lunches
YOU | BANNER TEAM
Team Member engagement
Growing our team
US | COMMUNITY
Team building activities
Creating an inclusive and diverse culture to reflect our communities
We have six TMRG to help build a more engaged, inclusive environment that represents the diversity of our customers and the communities in which we live:
- Veterans – Dedicated to enhancing the work environment for veteran team members, our goal is to identify and address emerging issues or challenges stemming from transition into civilian life, increase the visibility and value of veterans’ skills, refine and enhance policies of non-discrimination, recognize achievements and enhance self-identification.
- Women in Leadership – Committed to empowering and enabling women to choose their path to success and achieve goals, our aim is to mentor and cultivate the success of aspiring female leaders and identify and address opportunities to increase female support and diversity.
- LGBTQ+ & Allies – Aspires to bring together our diverse LGBTQ+ community and its allies to empower each person by sharing their experiences so awareness and experiences our community and team members face are enriched.
- Multicultural, African American/Black American, and Hispanic/Latinx – Aims to bring together team members who value cultural diversity to develop awareness and unity within our organization and communities.
Previous team member events:
- Alzheimer’s Disease and the African American Community Conference by Banner Alzheimer’s Institute
- MLK March
- Diversity lectures
- Zumba for the Heart
- Chicanos Por La Causa’s Angeles Del Barrio Children’s Health Fair and Festival
- Chicanos Por La Causa’s annual gift-wrapping event
- Healthcare Diversity Summit
- Tucson and Phoenix Pride
At Banner, we believe in a shared responsibility to improve the health and well-being of our community. We reinvest every dollar we earn in state-of-the-art patient care, technology, and medical facilities to meet the health care needs of our communities. Our non-profit mission to make health care easier so life can be better is made possible by the unwavering support and commitment of our team members, physician partners, thousands of volunteers, and many cherished donors who so generously give of their time, talent and treasure.
Every year, thousands of people, including our own team members serve as Banner volunteers — helping people in emergencies, raising funds for equipment and services, donating blood, organizing programs for elderly and youth and more.
Commitment and care for our communities
Since its inception, we have provided roughly $6.6 billion in community benefit across our service areas. This is delivered in the forms of charity care and financial assistance, as well as research activities, medical education, and community health and development.
More than 500 Banner Health programs and services are funded by charitable gifts and endowments, including:
- Alzheimer’s care, prevention research, and family support
- Housing assistance for cancer patients and their families
- On-site schooling for hospitalized children
- Chaplaincy services
- Music therapy for children and cancer and hospice patients
- Integrative oncology and complementary therapies
- Banner Olive Branch Senior Center and meal delivery for homebound seniors
- Bereavement camp for children facing loss
Ways we give
Two foundations support our work:
- Banner Health Foundation, which secures and stewards charitable contributions to advance our Mission and invests in facilities and programs that support advancements in care, research, health education, patient services and a variety of community programs.
- Banner Alzheimer’s Foundation, which secures and stewards charitable gifts to advance the mission to eradicate Alzheimer’s and dementia, including groundbreaking research initiatives and pioneering prevention studies, family outreach, counseling, and support services.
In addition, we offer community health programs for underserved populations, resources, and support for Alzheimer’s caregivers, and community clinics for children who lack access to health care.
We lead and fund research initiatives aimed at finding cures and preventing disease and sponsor clinical trials, giving patients access to the latest breakthroughs and treatments.