Career events like the BestCompaniesAZ Millennial Career Mixer can help you launch a dream career by directly connecting you with some incredible employers.
But how do you make sure you are ready to make a great impression? Here are 10 ways to rock a career event.
- Make sure your resume is error-free. Have a friend proofread it – again. Don’t rely on yourself to proofread your own resume, since your brain may see it as you intended it to be instead as it really is. One typo can send you to the “no thanks” category, despite how awesome you are!
- Research all the companies who are participating in the event. Read their profiles on BestCompaniesAZ.com, since these profiles often contain specific local information not available on the corporate website. Indeed.com, Glassdoor.com, and company social media pages can round out your research.
- Keep an open mind. Some job seekers are only interested in companies with major brand names, but the competition for jobs at these companies can be intense. By focusing on all companies with award-winning cultures, you may find a great fit with a lesser-known but up-and-coming organization.
- Focus on what the employers need. You may not know exactly what your dream job is at this point, but you will be more likely to be hired if you focus on a position a company needs to fill. It’s okay to show your ambition, but avoid giving the impression that you view their current openings as only a foot in the door. Apply in advance for the positions you want.
- If you haven’t done so already, build out your LinkedIn profile. Check out this post for tips: Skinny Resume? Bulk Up Your Personal Brand.
- Dress the part. At a career event, you’re likely to be meeting with several companies, and they may have different expectations for dress. When in doubt, dress more professionally.
- Be on time, and plan on staying as long as it takes. If you are there when the room isn’t packed, you may get more time with the recruiters.
- Prepare two or three sentences about yourself, your chosen field, and your interests, so you can tell the employer specifically why you think you’d be a good fit for a position. Preparing in advance can help you overcome nervousness.
- Ask for business cards, and get at least one contact name and email address for each employer you’re interested in. Ask about next steps, so you’ll know what to expect.
- Follow up. Send a thank-you email, highlighting an element of your conversation if possible. Send a LinkedIn invitation to connect to everyone you met. Remember that everyone was at the event to meet millennials like you, so they’re likely to accept.
In addition to our career events, BestCompaniesAZ can help you land your dream career. Don’t want to face a job hunt all alone? Check out our Career Advice resources.